WUQWATR is passionate about educating youth on the importance of watersheds and water conservation. We’ve created the WUQWATR Kids Club to share some fun learning experiences with the youngest residents of our watershed. Check back monthly for new activities and learning opportunities!
The theme for our annual poster contest is “wetlands and wildlife”.
The contest is open to all students in Grades 3 to 6.
One entry is allowed per student on a piece of paper no larger than 8 ½ inches by 11 inches.
Entries will be divided into two categories, Grades 3 & 4, and Grades 5 & 6.
A separate cover sheet must accompany each entry with the following:
•Contestant’s address and phone #
•Contestant’s grade and age
•Full name and address of school
•Full name of teacher
Mail entries plus the required cover sheet to:
Regina, SK S4P 3B2
Things to consider when getting started:
Thank you for considering the Saskatchewan Association of Watersheds Annual Poster Contest!
The Wascana & Upper Qu’Appelle Watersheds Association (WUQWATR) is one of 11 Water Stewardship Groups participating in this year’s contest.
WUQWATR is providing prizes for the top 3 winners in each division (Grades 3 & 4, Grades 5 & 6) within our watershed.
The first place winner’s poster advances to a Provincial contest for a chance to win a gift certificate worth $500.
The Provincial winner’s classroom will also get a pizza party.
1. Possible topics for your students to express with their poster:
- How do wetlands impact wildlife?
- How can I inspire others to protect wetlands for wildlife?
- How can I protect wetlands for wildlife?
- How does my farm, household, school or community affect wetlands and wildlife?
- Why are wetlands important to wildlife?
2. Formatting guidelines:
- Artwork must be 8½’’ X 11’’ in size. Any medium may be used.
- A separate cover sheet must accompany each entry with the following :
- Contestant’s name
- Parent/Guardian’s name
- Contestant’s address and phone #
- Contestant’s grade and age
- Full name and address of school
- Full name of teacher
3. Posters will be judged based on the following criteria:
- First & foremost, that the (watershed) knowledge presented within the poster is accurate.
- The artwork demonstrates an appreciation of wetlands and wildlife in our local watershed ecosystem (i.e. the Wascana & Upper Qu’Appelle Watersheds)
Tip: If you are a teacher or parent, try to encourage each student to think about the topic personally rather than submitting nearly identical posters. Many times when we have great entries, a unique perspective can break a tie.
Learn How to Start Plants from Seed Here!
Wetland Animals Word Search
What animals might you find in Saskatchewan wetlands? Download our word search to find out!
Winter Scavenger Hunt!
Get outside and search for the following items
• Animal tracks in the snow
• Evidence of beavers
• Falling snow
• Frozen water
• An outdoor winter activity
Find one or all of these items and tag your findings on
social media under #WUQWATRKidsClub. We can’t
wait to see what you and your family find!
Use these delicious ingredients or your own substitutions and follow along here